2020 marks 75 years since the end of the Second World War. To commemorate this important year, the NSW Government interviewed WWII veterans about their experiences. Read our 75th Anniversary Stories.
Brass plaque with coloured lettering to commemorate the handing over of the Colors. The memorial was established on 1 June 1924.
Note: The church can be located via Hunter Street or Parramatta Mall. The plaque remains in the church, however the Colors have been transferred to the Royal New South Wales Lancers Memorial Museum in Parramatta.
[Relief of Kimberley. Paadeberg. Driefontain .Johannesburg. Diamond Hill. Belfast]
First Light Horse Regiment. N.S.W. Lancers
The colours were presented to the regiment in Melbourne in 1902, by the Governor-General of Australia on behalf of King Edward VII in recognition of services rendered during the South African War 1899-1902. The officer commanding the Color Party at the presentation was LIEUT-COL. C. F. COX. C.B.
The Colors were handed over to St John’s Church Parramatta on Sunday June 1st 1924. The Regiment carrying the Kings Colors presented for services at Gallipoli, in Egypt. And in Palestine, during the Great War. 1914-1918.
This Tablet was unveiled by Field Marshal the Viscount Allenby of Megiddo and Felixstowe. January 21st 1926.
The colors referred to above were transferred to the Royal N.S.W. Lancers’ Memorial Museum, Parramatta, in 1969.
Help us record history by adding to its record.