Two panels of granite with gold inlay set on either side of the main front doors of the building. The building is the main branch of the library, local history department and a gallery.The memorial is over looking Civic Park and the City Hall.
(Panel on East (left) side of main doors)
Newcastle War Memorial Cultural Centre.
In thankful remembrance of the men and women of Newcastle and District who served the cause of human liberty and especially of those who made the supreme sacrifice
To them we, their fellow citizens, dedicate this memorial as a token of our gratitude.
This foundation stone of the first section of the memorial was laid by His Excellency the Governor of New South Wales Lieutenant-General John Northcott C.B.M.V.O on the 8th Day of June 1949 Construction was commenced on the 16th Day of May 1955
1949) W.A. Miller, Town Clerk (1949) H.D. Quinlan, Lord Mayor (1955) W. Burges, Town Clerk (1955) F.G. Purdue, Lord Mayor, (President of Committee).
(Panel on West (right) side of main doors)
Newcastle War Memorial Cultural Centre opened by His Excellency the Governor of New South Wales Lieutenant-General E. W. Woodward C.B C.B.E D.S.O. on the 26th Day of October 1957.
This memorial symbolises the desire of the citizens of Newcastle and District to record their gratitude to all who came forward to protect their country in its hour of peril and in special to commend to the remembrance of their countrymen and commit to the tenderness of God all those who by payment of their lives have redeemed their country that its life may be perpetuated and its honour increased by their honour.
Mark Howarth F.R.A.S., Honorary Secretary, Citizens Committee W. Burges, Town Clerk C.K. Jones, Lord Mayor, President Citizens Committee.
Help us record history by adding to its record.