University of NSW Army Regiment Former Flags

Description

Burman, Luke Stuart (June 2006). "The UNSW Regiment" (PDF). Origins - Newsletter of the UNSW Archives (10): 8.

The Regiment was first presented with Colours on 27 October 1963 on the UNSW Oval at Kensington by the Governor of New South Wales, Lieutenant General Sir Eric Woodward. New Colours were presented at a Regimental Colours Parade on 22 August 1998 at Victoria Barracks, Paddington by the Governor General of Australia, Sir William Deane. When UNSW declined to house the old Regimental colours on campus, the regiment gained permission to retire them in St Spyridon's Greek Othrodox Church, Kensington.

Inscription

THE FORMER FLAGS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES ARMY REGIMENT ARE RETIRED AND DISPLAYED WITH IN THIS SACRED WAR MEMORIAL CHURCH OF 'ST SPYRIDON'

THE CEREMONY FOR THE LAYING-UP OF THE OLD QUEEN'S AND REGIMENTAL COLOURS WAS CONDUCTED ON SATURDAY, 3RD OF MARCH, 2001

THE PARISHIONERS OF THIS CHURCH WILL RESPECT AND HONOUR THE FLAGS AS PROUD AUSTRALIANS OF THE GREEK ORTHODOX FAITH

Address
Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church
72-76 Gardeners Road Street
Kingsford NSW 2032
Local Government Area
  • Randwick, City of
Setting
  • Building – inside
Memorial type
  • Other
Recorded by
Peter Levarre-Waters
Established date
2001
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
2001-03-03
Dedication date
03 March 2001
Conflict/s
  • Peacekeeping, 1947–present

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial