Randwick District War Memorial

Description

Sandstone cenotaph standing in a small triangular reserve known as High Cross Reserve. The memorial displays dedicatory plaques and a bronze laurel wreath, and is accompanied by a flag staff. Surrounding the memorial is a landscaped garden consisting of small evergreen and native shrubs, with rosemary [for remembrance].

This memorial is unusual in that the names of over four thousand World War One veterans, inscribed on a parchment roll, are contained within the structure.

Inscription

EAST SIDE:

SERVICE & SACRIFICE
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN GRATEFUL
RECOGNITION OF THE
SERVICES RENDERED
TO THE EMPIRE BY THOSE
WHO SERVED IN THE
GREAT WAR 1914-1918
THIS MEMORIAL IS
DEDICATED BY THE PEOPLE
OF RANDWICK

SERVICE & SACRIFICE
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN GRATEFUL
RECOGNITION OF THE
SERVICES RENDERED
TO THE EMPIRE BY THOSE
WHO SERVED IN THE
WORLD WAR II 1939-46
THIS MEMORIAL IS
DEDICATED BY THE PEOPLE
OF RANDWICK

See the section below, 'Additional Images with accompanying information: ' for further plaques and inscriptions.

Address
Cnr Belmore and Avoca Streets. In High Cross Park, opposite The Prince of Wales Hospital on Avoca Street.
Randwick NSW 2031
Location/surrounding area
Memorial Location
Recorded by
Colleen Baines (Niece of P/O Cecil O'Brien, 467 Sqd. RAAF. KIA Berlin 27 Jan 1944.Updated photographs by Peter Levarre - Waters
Established date
1925
Dedication date
1925-05-03 00:00:00.0

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial