Rear Admiral Sir David Martin
Rear Admiral Sir David Martin, Governor of New South Wales, died just three days after delivering his early retirement speech on the 7th August 1990. In the 18 months he had been Governor, Sir David became known as the "People's Governor", an indication of the high regard in which he was held by the citizens of New South Wales.
Sir David placed great importance on his Community Role as State Governor, and in the years following his death, the Sir David Martin Foundation assists young people in crisis. The present Governor, Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AO, is Patron with The Hon. Robert Carr MP, Premier of New South Wales, Vice Patron. Visit the Sir David Martin Foundation Web site to learn of the important work performed in memory of Sir David and his desire for a better society.
Documents related to Sir David and his State Funeral held in Sydney on 16th August 1990:
- Eulogy by Commander Philipp Owen, RAN (Ret'd)
- Eulogy by His Worship the Mayor of Dubbo, Alderman T. A. Slattery
- Press Release - Premier of New South Wales - State Funeral for the Late Rear Admiral Sir David Martin, KCMG, AO (PDF)
- Government Gazette No 103, announcing the death of Rear Admiral Sir David Martin, KCMG, AO (PDF)
- State Funeral and Service of Thanksgiving for the life of Rear Admiral Sir David Martin, KCMG, AO (PDF)
A biography of the life of Rear Admiral Sir David Martin is available through the New South Wales Public Library Network:
A Call to Duty
The Story of Rear Admiral
Sir David Martin
'The People's Governor'
Sydney City Mission. 1995
State Library of New South Wales:
Search by memorial name, suburb, postcode, veteran name