Two plaques commemorating the then Colony of New South Wales involvement in the Soudan War.
The New South Wales Contingent for the Soudan War (consisting of some 750 men and 225 horses) embarked on the troopships 'Australasian' and 'Iberia' at the wharves on the North East side of the Circular Quay on March 3 1885
The Contingent returned to Sydney in the troopship 'Arab' on June 23 1885. This Memorial Donated by Thomas Gunning Esq. R.A.H.S.
To Commemorate the Centenary of the departure of the New South Wales Contingent for the Soudan on 3rd March 1885 His Excellency Air Marshall Sir James Rowland KBE DFC AFC Governor of New South Wales Unveiled this plaque on 3rd March 1985 following a parade at Victoria Barracks Paddington and then leading a march through Sydney of units of the Royal Australian Navy, the Australian Regular Army and the Army Reserve, successors of the original contingent.
Help us record history by adding to its record.