The Uniting War Memorial Hospital is a large collection of buildings, situated between Birrel St and Bronte Rd. The hospital is operated by the Uniting Church. It was formerly known as the Waverley War Memorial Hospital.
The main historical feature is the main building, the 'Edina' building built by Ebenezer Vickery around the 1860s. Vickery was a merchant, manufacturer and philanthropist, born in 1827 and died in 1906. He was a wealthy businessman who was originally born in London and moved to Australia, Sydney, for greater prospect. After Vickery's death, the family had donated the home in 1919 and was reopened, with significant changes to satisfy the requirements of a hospital, in 1921.
Within the 'Edina' building, there are numerous portraits of soldiers and nurses who in commemoration of their efforts are remembered for the First and Second World War. There are also two honour boards commemorating those who served during the First World War, one dedicating the Operating Theatre Wing to these veterans and the other also commemorating benefactors to the war effort within the area of the hospital.
The Edina building is surrounded by numerous hospital buildings, a garden/park facing directly opposite the building, as well as areas of conglomeration between the elderly and workers.
Memorial does not include inscription.
Help us record history by adding to its record.