St Stephen's Dorrigo Great War Roll of Honour

Description

St Stephen the Martyr Church was consecrated on 8 September 1909. Over time, the original building was replaced and the current building was consecrated and dedicated as a war memorial in 1970. 

Early in September 1918, it was reported "arrangements are now well in hand to inscribe the names of Church of England adherents who enlisted from the local district on the honor roll" (Don Dorrigo Gazette, 7 September 1918,' C. of E. Honor Board'). Canvassers had been appointed as well as a committee to collect names of soldiers and to supervise the printing on the board. The Williamson and Jarrett families donated cedar for the roll. The Don Dorrigo Gazette, 4 December 1918 advertised for more names to ensure the list was complete. In August 1921 it was reported the roll had arrived. The names were executed in gold and the board was English Oak. The Gazette, 10 August 1921 described it "as a work of art …" While some difficulties had arisen for it to be transported to Dorrigo because of floods, the roll was unveiled on Tuesday 23 August 1921 by Reverend Sidney Smith, ex-chaplain Australian Imperial Force.

Inscription

ST. STEPHENS
DORRIGO
ROLL OF HONOUR
FOR GOD & RIGHT & LIBERTY
1914 THE GREAT WAR 1919
[Names]

Address
39 Kurrajong Street
Dorrigo Anglican Church
Dorrigo NSW 2453
Local Government Area
  • Bellingen Shire
Setting
  • Building – inside
Memorial type
  • Board/roll/plaque/tablet
Recorded by
Graham Wilson OAM. Photograph by Vivian Hoskins
Established date
1918-1921
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
23 Aug 1921
Dedication date
23 August 1921
Conflict/s
  • First World War, 1914–18

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial