Skip to main content

Berger Memorial

Berger Memorial
Middle
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
0 / 0
-
Description / Background

This memorial is made up of several parts. A large stone seat is adjacent to a stone monument with three levels, a sun dial on the top and several metal plaques around the side of the monument. There is one plaque missing. Each plaque has twelve names of men and/or women who served. Both these memorials were originally located at Bergers Paint company in Rhodes. The memorials were erected to honour members of their staff who served in the wars.

The company site was where Centenary Drive turns off Concord Road, near the Rhodes Shopping Centre. When the site was being bulldozed, the Concord Heritage Society asked for the memorials to be preserved and City of Canada Bay Council had them removed and placed in the vicinity of Concord War Memorial with a special ceremony in 2000. This information was kindly supplied by the Concord Heritage Society.

Inscription

Stone seat

In honour of 1914- 1918 war veterans.

Stone monument

The glory of their fame & time shall increase. 

Original plaque

This honour shrine was unveiled and dedicated by the most Rev H.W.K. Mowll D.D. Archbishop of Sydney 9th December 1943.

Re-dedication plaque

The re-dedication of the Berger Memorial was performed by Rt Reverend Robert Forsyth, Bishop for South Sydney Region on behalf of The Reverend R H Goodhew Archbishop of Sydney on Friday 10th November 2000. Peter Woods OAM Mayor Concord, Rusty Priest AM State President NSW Returned & Services League, Les Hullick General Manager.

Veterans listed on this memorial

Last held rank Given name Family name Conflict/s Service No. Service Campaign Read more
A E ALLEN Not Recorded view
C F ALLEN Not Recorded view
I ALLISON Not Recorded view
G ALLMAN Not Recorded view
W ASHBY Not Recorded view
J W ASPINALL Not Recorded view
E BAKER Not Recorded view
A S BARRETT Not Recorded view
R K BARRETT Not Recorded view
A L BASS Not Recorded view

Do you know more about this war Memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute
Sidebar
Address
Queen Elizabeth Park
Cnr Crane and Broughton Streets
Concord NSW 2137
Local Government Area
Canada Bay, City of
Setting
Garden/park
Location status
Moved/altered
Memorial type
Monument
Recorded by
Ms. Jane Williamson, Mrs. Janice Williams and Peter Levarre-Waters.
Year of construction
1943
Dedication date
10 November 2000
Conflict/s
First World War, 1914–18