Cudal and District War Memorial Gates

Cudal and District War Memorial GatesCudal and District War Memorial GatesCudal and District War Memorial Gates, close-up of plaqueCudal and District War Memorial Gates, close-up of plaqueCudal and District War Memorial Gates, close-up of plaqueCudal and District War Memorial Gates, close-up of plaqueCudal and District War Memorial Gates, close-up of plaqueCudal and District War Memorial Gates, close-up of plaque
Description

The Cudal and District War Memorial Gates consist of a series of brick and concrete pillars, which are connected by two metal gates and fence panels. Attached to the pillars are several white marble honour roll tablets, inscribed with the names of servicemen and women who have served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. 

The gates were dedicated on 11 November 1930, at a ceremony presided over by Mr A K Shannon. The event was described in the Leader on 14 November. Reverend Evans delivered the memorial prayer, assisted by other church leaders. Dr Colvin, representing Orange Council, called on Mrs McGrath and Mrs Parslow to officially open the gates, on behalf of the mothers of soldiers.

The Leader also provided a brief history of the site. They revealed the idea of a "memorial park" was developed some 12 years. Funds were raised by district women during the Great War. The land was donated by Mesdames O'Neil and Auckland in memory of their parents, the Landauer family. 

The gates are located at the entrance to Landauer Memorial Park on Main Street, Cudal, also known as The Escort Way.

Inscription

Plaque 1

South African War
1899-1902
[Names]

Memorial Gates dedicated 
Armistice Day 1930

"When the Empire calls"

Plaque 2

The Great War
1914-1918

Erected by 
the citizens of Cudal 
and district
as a 
token of remembrance 
to our soldier sons
who enlisted
from this district 

Plaque 3

Those who made 
the supreme sacrifice.
[Names]

Greater love hath no man
than this, that he lay down his life
for his friend.

Those who returned to us.
[Names]

They heard the call and answered.

Plaque 4

Honour Roll 1939-45
War
[Names]
Vietnam
[Name]

Plaque 5

Honour Roll 1939-45
War
[Names]

Plaque 6

The Gulf War
[Name]

Veterans listed on this memorial

Last held rank Given Name Family Name Conflict/s Fate Service No. Service Campaign Read more
J Allcorn World War 2 view
L Allcorn World War 2 view
E R Archer World War 2 view
O K Baker Vietnam view
J Baker World War 1 view
S Baker World War 2 view
R Baker World War 2 view
A R Baker World War 2 view
L G Baker World War 2 view
H Balcomb World War 1 view

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute

Address
Landauer Memorial Park
Cnr Main and Brown Streets
Cudal NSW 2864
Australia
Local Government Area
  • Cabonne Shire
Setting
  • Roadside
Location status
Original location
Memorial type
  • Gate/lychgate
Recorded by
Graham Wilson. Peter Levarre-Waters.
Year of construction
1930
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date
11 November 1930
Conflict/s
  • South African War (Boer War), 1899–1902
  • First World War, 1914–18
  • Second World War, 1939–45
  • Korean War, 1950–53
  • Vietnam War, 1962–75
  • Iraq: the First Gulf War, 1990–91
Materials
  • Brick
  • Bronze
  • Concrete
  • Metal