2020 marks 75 years since the end of the Second World War. To commemorate this important year, the NSW Government is interviewing WWII veterans about their experiences. Read our 75th Anniversary Stories.
Located at Cudgen Public School, this war memorial contains several elements. A focal point is the monument, consisting of three brick columns supporting a triangular roof, bearing a laurel wreath plaque. The roof covers a low plinth with a plaque attached. Behind the monument are two walls bearing plaques, including two marble honor rolls listing men from Cudgen and district who enlisted in the Great War. Those who lost their lives have a cross to the left of their name. These plaques were originally unveiled at the school on 24 May 1921.
The monument was built in 1990. The bricks used for it and the walls came from the first Cudgen School building on the site, built in 1890. This building was demolished in 1982. The bricks were kept specifically for the memorial and it was built entirely by volunteers.
The street leading to the memorial is lined by Norfolk Island Pines, each dedicated to a life lost in the Great War. The avenue of trees was planted in late November 1918.
Dedicated to the Fallen
'We Will Remember Them'
Cudgen & District
Great War 1914-1918.
|Rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflict/s||Fate||Service No.||Service||Campaign||Link|
|L||Wogas||World War 1||view|
|M||Watego||World War 1||view|
|G||Watego||World War 1||view|
|J A||Turnock||World War 1||KIA||view|
|W||Turnbull||World War 1||view|
|R||Tredwell||World War 1||view|
|E||Todd||World War 1||view|
|W||Taylor||World War 1||view|
|D H||Sprange||World War 1||view|
|W||Soorley||World War 1||view|
Help us record history by adding to its record.