The Port Macquarie War Memorial is a column atop a base, inscribed with an honour roll. Originally dedicated on 30 March 1921, additional plaques for other conflicts have been added over time. In 1966 the memorial was relocated and later re-dedicated on 2 November 2000. In 2016 it was relocated again from the Town Green to the northern side of the Horton and Clarence Street intersection, and plinths were added.
The following description is taken from The Port Macquarie War Memorial 1921-2000 by Colin Purbrick:
"The monument design was initially prepared by the contractor, Mr Alfred Goode but it was later modified under advice from the Ministry of Local Government.
As its centrepiece, the memorial consists of a traditional Doric column which was highly polished and carved from a single piece of stone ten feet six inches (323 cm.) high and one foot six niches (457 mm) in diameter.
Atop the column is mounted, on a carved stone base, a sphere representing the universe with the continents said to be depicted. This feature is not readily seen from the ground today.
The column is mounted on a pedestal with three steps, the whole being architecturally correct, both in design and proportion.
The stone used is a combination of Bowral trachyte and Aberdeen red granite, partly polished and partly fine axed.
On one side of the base is inscribed 'Erected to Commemorate the Great World War, 1914 -1919, and the Victory of the Allies' and on another side 'Unveiled on Port Macquarie Centenary 30/3/21.'
Current records do not show if the original plans included the erection of a complimentary stone and chain fence around the squared off base of the memorial. Early photographs depict rough carved stone corner and centre posts with smooth pyramid shaped tops, connected together with a steel link chain. Centre posts at the southern end formed a gateway to the base of the monument. The addition of the chain acted as a barrier to anyone using the memorial for any activity other than its intended purpose. The memorial was built on time although the Committee had a shortfall of £60 ($120) in its funds. However, on the afternoon of 30 March 1921, before a great gathering of local residents and dignitaries suffering heavy showers of rain, the imposing monument was unveiled."
THEY CROSSED THE OCEAN
Erected to Commemorate the Great War, 1914 - 1919, and the Victory of the Allies
Unveiled on Port Macquarie Centenary 30/3/21
World War II 1939-1945
Egypt, Libya, Greece, Crete, Syria, Papua New Guinea, Bougainville, Borneo, Malaya, Singapore,
on all oceans and in the air
Korea War 1950-1953
"Kapyong 25 April 1951"
"Sarawon" "Chong Ju" "Pakchon" "Chaum-Ni"
Malaya Anti Terrorist Operations 1950-1957
VIETNAM WAR 1962 - 1973
"Long Tan" "Saigon" "Nui Dat" "Vung Tau"
Boer War 1899-1902
RE-DEDICATED 2 NOVMBER 2000
by G. E. (Rusty) PRIEST AM
State President RETURNED AND SERVICES LEAGUE OF AUSTRALIA New South Wales Branch
In memory of those who served Australia on the Armed Forces
Monument Relocated July 1969
|Rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflicts||Fate||Service No.||Service||Campaign||Link|
|W D||Walsh||World War 2||view|
|W C||Earle||World War 1||view|
|W C||Wholohan||World War 2||view|
|W C||Gamack||World War 1||KIA||view|
|W A||Murphy||World War 2||view|
|W A||Noakes||South African Campaign||view|
|W||Hyde||World War 2||view|
|W||Wilkinson||World War 1||view|
|W||Dallas||World War 2||view|
|W||Clare||World War 1||view|
Help us record history by adding to its record.