Skip to main content

Temora and District War Memorial

Temora and District War Memorial
Middle
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
0 / 0
-
Description / Background

The war memorial comprises three tapering granite columns, set in parkland and flanked by a flagpole. The centre column is the original First World War memorial and the two outer, smaller columns are for the Second World War, subsequent campaigns and peace keeping missions. Each of the columns has a polished granite plaque attached to each of its four faces, on which names are engraved. Above the south-facing plaque on the centre monument is a bronze laurel wreath and torch. In front of the three columns is a low granite box which houses a floodlight and is inscribed with a brief history of the memorial. The memorial was first dedicated on 25 April 1922 and rededicated 6 December 1992.

Inscription

Centre column - front

[Names]

Erected in memory of the men who fought and died for the cause of freedom in the Great War 1914-1918.
'Their name shall liveth for evermore.'

Centre column - side

Lest We Forget 1939-1990.
For God King & Country Temora & District.

[Names]

Granite box - history details

The 1914-18 Memorial

This memorial was originally built by public subscription in the centre of the intersection of DeBoos and Loftus Streets. The foundation stone was laid by Mr Duncan Sinclair on the 4th August 1921. The memorial was unveiled by Mrs R Harvey on ANZAC Day 1922. Senator Pearce, Minister for Home Affairs represented the Prime Minister, and the Dedication was lead by the Rev Malcomson, the Presbyterian Minister. This memorial was moved to its present position in March 1971.

The 1939-2000 Memorial

These memorials were erected by the Temora RSL Sub-branch and were unveiled by Mr Bert Donaldson and Mr Gerry Mannion. They were dedicated by members of the Ministers Fraternal, Father Harding, Rev Woodlands Envoy Maynard and Flt Lieut Harvey of RAAF Base, Wagga on the 6th December 1992.

Veterans listed on this memorial

Last held rank Given name Family name Conflict/s Service No. Service Campaign Read more
M E Adams U N Peace Keeping Forces view
R Adams World War 2 view
V A Adams World War 1 view
S L Aitken World War 1 view
W H Aitken World War 2 view
R I Alchin World War 2 view
D J Alchin World War 2 view
M H Alchin World War 2 view
E A Allen World War 2 view
N M T Appelt World War 2 view

Do you know more about this war Memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute
Sidebar
Address
129 Loftus Street near Aurora Street
Temora NSW 2666
Local Government Area
Temora Shire
Setting
Garden/park
Location status
Moved/altered
Memorial type
Column/pillar
Recorded by
David Roden, Peter Levarre-Waters and Roger Johnson
Year of construction
1921-1922
Dedication date
25 April 1922
Conflict/s
First World War, 1914–18
Second World War, 1939–45
Korean War, 1950–53
Malayan Emergency, 1950–60
Vietnam War, 1962–75
Peacekeeping, 1947–present