The Wollongong Cenotaph is a large sandstone arch of classical design. It features several marble plaques, inscribed with an honour roll for those who served in the First World War. It also has some marble sculptures attached, including a young girl and boy, cherubs, and a woman holding the eternal flame of remembrance. Varney Parkes, son of Sir Henry Parkes, began carving the figures in 1922.
The arch was dedicated on 3 June 1923, at its original location outside Wollongong Council Chambers. In 1984, it was moved to MacCabe Park in the Wollongong CBD, where it forms part of the MacCabe Park Memorial Complex.
Anzac Day commemorative services take place on site.
Erected to the memory of the soldiers of Wollongong who fought in the Great War 1914–1918
Lord God of Hosts be with us yet,
Lest we forget, lest we forget.
When can their glory fade
The foundation stone of this memorial was laid by His Excellency Sir Walter Davidson K.C.M.G. Governor of New South Wales 7th August 1922
This memorial was unveiled by His Excellency Rt. Hon. HW Barron Forster of LEPE P.C. G.C.M.G. Governor General Commonwealth of Australia 3rd June 1923.
On Fame's eternal camping-ground,
Their silent tents are spread,
And glory guards, with solemn round
the bivouac of the dead [American Poet Theodore O'Hara's 'Bivouac of the Dead']
Blow, bugles of battle,
the marches of peace;
East, west, north, and south. [John Greenleaf Whittier American poet, reformer and author (1807–1892)]
|Last held rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflicts||Fate||Service No.||Service||Campaign||Read more|
|R||Adlington||World War 1||view|
|A M||Aitken||World War 1||KIA||view|
|S B||Allen||World War 1||view|
|E||Anderson||World War 1||view|
|A W||Anderson||World War 1||view|
|W J||Annett||World War 1||view|
|A||Annett||World War 1||view|
|W L||Appleby||World War 1||KIA||view|
|F||Askew||World War 1||view|
|T E||Austin||World War 1||view|