Woodburn Memorial Hall

Woodburn Memorial Hall - front of hall with signageWoodburn Memorial Hall - plaque 1Woodburn Memorial Hall - plaque 2
Description

In September 1945 the Woodburn Branch of the Australian Labor Party decided to give all possible assistance for the building of the Woodburn Memorial Hall. However by November 1946, the financial position of the building fund and the state of building in general meant that a decision was made to confine the building to a dance and concert hall rather than include a picture theatre. The committee was informed in March 1947 that their offer to purchase the gymnasium and theatre at Evans Head aerodrome had been accepted. 

Woodburn had been without a public hall since the cyclone of 1945. By February 1948, the Chief Secretary's Department had approved plans for a new hall and all materials were at hand although a site had to be selected. An application was made for the provisional plans and specifications to the Government in July 1949 and the hall committee received deeds for the site of the hall in September 1950. Four years later, the Memorial Hall Trustees Committee reported in June 1954 that the tender of the contractor Mr H F Eastoe for construction of the hall had been accepted. 

The Memorial Hall was opened by the Governor Sir John Northcott on 30 April 1955.    

Inscription

Signage 

WOODBURN MEMORIAL HALL

Plaque 1

WOODBURN
MEMORIAL HALL
OFFICIALLY OPENED BY
HIS EXCELLENCY LIEUT. GENERAL
SIR JOHN NORTHCOTT
         K.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., C.B.
GOVERNOR OF NEW SOUTH WALES
ON 30th APRIL, 1955.
ERECTED BY THE R.S.L. SUB-BRANCH
AND PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION

Plaque 2 

IN MEMORY OF
OUR FALLEN COMRADES
LEST WE FORGET.

Address
River Street
Court Street
Woodburn NSW 2472
Location/surrounding area
Pacific Highway [-29.071738,153.341481]
Recorded by
Graham Wilson OAM
Established date
1946-1955
Dedication date
30/04/1955
Conflict/s
World War 1
World War 2

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial