Description / Background
This South African War memorial consists of a 15-foot marble column, surmounted by a street lamp. It is known as the Mafeking Lamp, named after the Siege of Mafeking during the Boer War. It is supported by a pedestal on a freemason base, which has several plaques attached including the insignias of the Australian Defence Forces. It is located at a roundabout at the corner of Walker and Barker Streets in Casino, NSW.
At the base of the memorial are four inscriptions: three dedicated to the areas in which sieges occurred, Ladysmith, Kimberley, Mafeking, as well as listing the names of the Commanders and Relieving Commanders. The fourth lists the names of the soldiers from the Richmond River Region who served. At the top there are details of the lighting company 'Kitson Lighting & Heating Company Brisbane.' The first lighting of the lamp used acetylene gas.
On Victoria Day, 24 May 1901 the war memorial was dedicated and handed over to the Casino Municipal Council. Since that date, two metal plaques have been attached to the base. Firstly, a plaque from the Casino Ministers Fraternal dated 11 November 1991, which dedicates the Mafeking Lamp and is a memorial to those Australians who served in times of war. The second plaque commemorates the 50th anniversary of the end of the Second World War, dedicated on 11 November 1995.
Besieged 2nd November 1899
Relieved 28th February 1900
Commander, Lieut. Gnl. Sir G.S. White V.C.
Relieving Commander, Gnl. Sir Redvers Buller V.C.
Heroes who gave their lives for the Empire
Besieged 14th October 1899
Relieved 15th February 1900
Commander, Colonel Kekewich.
Relieving Commander, Lieut. Gnl. French.
Besieged 15th October 1899
Relieved 17th May 1900
Commander, Colonel Baden-Powell.
Relieving Commander, Lieut. Col. Mahon D.S.O.
- Commemorating 50 years -
To the men and women who paid the supreme sacrifice in World War II.
Lest we forget
Erected by public subscription 1901
The Mafeking Lamp dedicated by the Casino Ministers Fraternal on the 11th November 1991 as a memorial to those who served in the Australian Armed Forces on land, sea and in the air during times of war.
Lest we forget