Skip to main content

St Paul's Presbyterian Church Second World War Memorial Pipe Organ, Casino

St Paul's Presbyterian Church Second World War Memorial Pipe Organ, Casino
Middle
Image
Image
0 / 0
-
Description / Background

The war memorial is a pipe organ located in the apse of the St Paul's Presbyterian Church in Casino, NSW. It was made by the Whitehouse Bros. Company of Brisbane and features two manuals, 10 speaking stops with a tubular-pneumatic action and pedals.

The project to install the organ began in 1944 and was funded by local subscription, collected by a special committee. Two years later, at the annual committee meeting in March 1946, it was decided to install two additional stops bringing the cost of the build to 1,517 pounds, which included the structural alterations to the church to allow installation of the organ (Northern Star, 25 February 1944, 12 March 1946). 

Following the 1947 annual meeting, the Northern Star, 10 March 1947, published details of the progress and payments for plans for the platform and the purchase of war bonds. It was expected that the work would be completed within a few months and was to cost 1,471 pounds.

The memorial was dedicated by the Moderator of the Presbyterian Church, Right Reverend W.J. Grant on Sunday 24 August 1947, in honour of over 100 members of the church who served in the Second World War. The full program included a performance by Professor De Looze during the ceremony, an organ recital in the afternoon and a Thanksgiving Service in the evening led by Reverend A.T.P. North, to help raise remaining funds (Northern Star, 8 August 1947). The Kyogle Examiner, 26 August 1947, claimed the organ was the first post-war pipe organ built in Australia.

The memorial organ is available for viewing when the church is open for services.

Inscription

Plaque

Dedicated to the glory of God by
Right Rev WJ Grant Moderator
And placed in the church by the congregation to the memory of the fallen, and those who served during World War II - 1939-1945
Rev ATP North BA

Do you know more about this war Memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute
Sidebar
Address
Casino Presbyterian Church
181 Canterbury Street
Casino NSW 2470
Local Government Area
Richmond Valley Council
Setting
Building – inside
Location status
Original location
Memorial type
Musical instrument
Recorded by
Graham Wilson. Tom Campbell.
Year of construction
1947
Dedication date
24 August 1947
Conflict/s
Second World War, 1939–45
Materials
Brass
Copper
Metal
Timber