2020 marks 75 years since the end of the Second World War. To commemorate this important year, the NSW Government interviewed WWII veterans about their experiences. Read our 75th Anniversary Stories.
The memorial is a bronze plaque attached to a timber board. It has a classical curved pediment shape and is decorated with stylised floral patterns and other features typical of the manufacturer, the Wunderlich Company of Sydney.
The memorial is dedicated to the Reverend Robert Herbert Pittendrigh, who fell in the First World War. It was dedicated by the Reverend C.T. Lusby on 19 October 1919 at the Gloucester Methodist Church, at the same time as the Gloucester Methodist Church First World War Honor Roll. On 22 October 1919 The Gloucester Advocate described the unveiling of the plaque and roll in detail.
Robert Reginald H. Pittendrigh was born in Bathurst in NSW. As a Methodist Minister from Garra Pine Cliffs in NSW, he enlisted on 7 September 1914 as a private in the 13th Battalion, H Company. His unit embarked from Melbourne in Victoria on board Transport A38 Ulysses on 22 December 1914. As a Corporal in the 13th Battalion, he died at sea on 28 August 1915, aged 32 years. He is commemorated on The Lone Pine Memorial (Panel 17) at Gallipoli in Turkey.
The original Methodist Church was built in 1913 and then moved to its present position in December 1946. A new church building for the Gloucester Uniting Church was constructed in 1968. Access to the memorial is restricted by the opening hours of the Uniting Church.
Corporal Stretcher Bearer
ROBERT HERBERT PITTENDRIGH
Enlisted Sept. 7, 1914
Fatally wounded in Lone Pine Engagement
whilst endeavouring to bring in a
wounded soldier under heavy fire
Help us record history by adding to its record.