Skip to main content

Shadforth Public School Great War Roll of Honour

Shadforth Public School Great War Roll of Honour
Middle
Image
Shadforth Public School Great War Roll of Honour
0 / 0
-
Description / Background

The Shadforth Public School Great War Roll of Honour is a colourful and decorative printed paper document, presented in a timber frame inset with glass. The illustrations include the Commonwealth Coat of Arms, the crossed Australian flag and Union Jack, and two laurel wreaths.

The centre of the page includes the list of names of students from the school who served, printed in elegant script and flanked by two shields. The shield on the left includes the words 'They played the Game' and the one on the right has the words 'For King and Country'. Beneath the names are two crossed rifles with bayonets, with the Australian Imperial Force badge in the centre and the words 'Defence Defiance'. The text at the bottom of the parchment is significantly faded and some letters are no longer legible.

The roll was designed and executed by Mr. T.F. Campbell of Springside. It was ready and on display in Mr Hockey's window by July 1917 (Leader, 16 July 1917). The unveiling ceremony took place at the school on 21 September, in front of a crowd including parents and relatives. A detailed report was published in the Leader on 1 October. As Reverend R.H. Kelly was delayed, the Reverend P.O. Davis of Spring Hill chaired the event, which began with the national anthem. After his initial remarks, the children sang 'When the Empire Calls' and Miss Stella Stevens recited 'Oro Patrai'. The Reverend then gave his formal address and called upon the senior student Ella Johns to unveil the roll. A half minute's silence was observed and then Miss Johns recited 'In Memoriam'. The children also performed a selection of patriotic songs. 

By this point in the proceedings, the Reverend Kelly had arrived and also gave an address. Mr W.E. Stevens, a teacher at the school, then spoke about the memorial itself. He stated that 30 names had been placed on the roll, with two more to be added. The school had planted wattle trees in the grounds in memory of those who had fallen. The event concluded with singing and musical accompaniment by Miss Stevens. Refreshments by the Shadforth ladies were served after the ceremony. 

Guyong West Public School in County Bathurst opened in February 1881 and was renamed Shadforth Public School in February 1884. Shadforth remained a public school until its closure in December 1976. The memorial is now found in the Millthorpe Museum (also known as the Golden Memories Museum). It is available for viewing when the museum is open. 

Inscription

1914 1918
The Great War
Roll of Honour
Shadforth Public School

[Names]

“God Save the King!”
* Killed [on the left]
+ Wounded [on the left]

W.E.S. [illeg.][on the right]
H [illeg.][on the right]

Veterans listed on this memorial

Last held rank Given name Family name Conflict/s Service No. Service Campaign Read more
Clifton Beasley World War 1 view
William Beasley World War 1 view
Clifford Beasley World War 1 view
Albert Coneybeare World War 1 view
Clive Glasson World War 1 view
John A Glasson World War 1 view
Frederick Harrison World War 1 view
Arthur Harvey World War 1 view
Raymond Hawke World War 1 view
John Johns World War 1 view

Do you know more about this war Memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute
Sidebar
Address
Golden Memories Millthorpe Museum
37 Park Street
Millthorpe NSW 2798
Local Government Area
Blayney Shire
Setting
Building – inside
Location status
Moved/altered
Memorial type
Board/roll/plaque/tablet
Recorded by
Graham Wilson. David Roden.
Year of construction
1917
Dedication date
21 September 1917
Conflict/s
First World War, 1914–18
Materials
Paper