Two simply designed, timber Rolls of Honor are located in the Tamworth Uniting Church, which was once the Tamworth Wesley Methodist Church.
The Tamworth Daily Observer on 26 July 1919 reported the trustees of the church had "decided to perpetuate the memory of the gallant men who went out from the Tamworth circuit to serve the cause of Empire and humanity". It was planned to install three stained glass windows and two maple honour boards in the church to record the names of 160 men who served.
On Sunday 10 August, the memorial windows and honor boards were unveiled and dedicated. The two honor boards were unveiled by Captain Chaplain W. Mills-Robson and the Reverend T. M. Alladin. The ceremony was held on the anniversary of the church and 140 names were recorded. The Daily Observer on 11 August 1919 described the ceremony in detail and also listed the names of those who died in the Great War. These names are recorded on the plaque below the large memorial window on the southern side of the church.
On both boards:
ROLL OF HONOR
METHODIST - CHURCH
TAMWORTH - CIRCUIT
THEY HEARD THE CALL OF DUTY
|Rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflict/s||Fate||Service No.||Service||Unit||Campaign||Link|
|Private||B||Cressy||First World War, 1914–18||4163||Australian Army - First Australian Imperial Force (1st AIF)||1st Battalion - 13th Reinf||view|
|Lance Corporal||T E||Hellyer||705||Australian Army - First Australian Imperial Force (1st AIF)||1st Battalion - 13th Reinf||view|
|Private||F||Hombsch||First World War, 1914–18||252||Australian Army - First Australian Imperial Force (1st AIF)||1st Battalion - 13th Reinf||view|
|Private||A R||Howlett||First World War, 1914–18||7495||Australian Army - First Australian Imperial Force (1st AIF)||1st Battalion - 25th Reinf||view|
Help us record history by adding to its record.