The Tenterfield and District Soldiers Memorial Hall was erected to commemorate soldiers from Tenterfield and District who served and died in the First World War.
Tenterfield's Jubilee was held as a carnival from 22 to 24 November 1921 with the purpose of raising funds for a band rotunda and the hall. The foundation stone was laid by Lt. Col. Bruxner on 22 November 1921.
At a public meeting held in July 1924, a sub-committee presented a report on progress to date and the six designs received. The sub-committee recommended the design submitted by Mr Madigan of Glen Innes be accepted, with Mr Kyburz of Tenterfield to complete the work. The hall was opened on 30 December 1924. The Glen Innes Examiner reported on 15 June 1925 "the big effort to raise £300 to pay off the debt on the Tenterfield Memorial Hall has been concluded."
Since the erection of the hall, plaques have been placed on the walls to commemorate those who have served in other conflicts, including for the National Servicemen (1951-1972) and Korea (1950-1956).
1914 1918 1924
TENTERFIELD AND DISTRICT SOLDIERS MEMORIAL
This FALLEN SOLDIERS MEMORIAL was officially opened and handed over to the Trustees by his Worship THE MAYOR ALD. F. KNEIPP on 30th Dec. 1924
This stone was laid on the occasion of the MUNICIPAL GOLDEN JUBILEE 22nd November 1921 by Lt. Col. Bruxner D.S.O. M.L.A.
In memory of soldiers from Tenterfield District who fell in the GREAT WAR 1914-1918
Help us record history by adding to its record.