Casino and District Memorial Hospital

Casino and District Memorial Hospital, entranceCasino and District Memorial Hospital, plaque near front entranceCasino and District Memorial Hospital, plaque on plinth near front entrance
Description

The Northern Star reported on 25 May 1926 that a new hospital was to be built at Casino. A War Memorial Hospital Committee was formed and at a meeting held on 1 November 1927 plans for a new hospital, which had been approved by the various departments, were presented. Later that month, the War Memorial Committee handed over £1500 to the District Hospial Committee for the first section of the new hospital buildings.

In March 1929, Colonel Board of Lismore submitted plans for the new hospital to the Casino War Memorial Committee. It was expected that the cost would be some £13,000.

The Richmond River Herald on 5 April 1929 reported that Dr Arthur, Minister for Health, had approved plans for the Casino War Memorial Hospital.

The foundation stone was laid by the Minister for Health, Mr Weaver, on Saturday 21 January 1933. He was not available to open the Casino District Hospital, which had ended up costing £20,000, and the chairman Mr Frederick Stiz officially opened the hospital on 16 December 1933. At the opening ceremony, two memorial tablets dedicated to fallen soldiers in World War I were also unveiled.

The tablets now sit in the hospital's foyer, which also houses several other memorials including a plaque commemorating 50 years since World War II.

The Northern Star on 19 June 1935 reported that the Governor, Sir Alexander Hore-Ruthven had agreed to the name of the Casino District Hospital being changed to the Casino Memorial Hospital.

Memorial gates were added to the hospital in December 1935.

Inscription

Front façade:

CASINO & DISTRICT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL

 

Plaque mounted on a plinth near the front entrance:

DEDICATED TO ALL
THOSE
WHO HAVE SERVED,

LEST WE FORGET

Address
Casino and District Memorial Hospital
Canterbury Street
Casino NSW 2470
Local Government Area
  • Richmond Valley Council
Recorded by
Graham Wilson OAM
Established date
1933
Dedication date
16/12/1933
Conflict/s
World War 1

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial