Skip to main content

Casino and District Memorial Hospital

Casino and District Memorial Hospital
Casino and District Memorial Hospital, entrance
Casino and District Memorial Hospital, plaque near front entrance
Casino and District Memorial Hospital, plaque on plinth near front entrance
0 / 0
Description / Background

On 25 May 1926, The Northern Star reported a new hospital was to be built in Casino, NSW. A committee was formed and at a meeting on 1 November 1927 plans for a new hospital, which had been approved by the various departments, were presented. Later that month, the committee handed over £1,500 for the first section of the new buildings.

In March 1929, Colonel Board of Lismore submitted plans for the hospital to the committee. It was expected to cost around £13,000, however, the final figure was £20,000. On 5 April 1929, The Richmond River Herald reported Dr Arthur, Minister for Health, had approved the plans.

The foundation stone was laid by the Minister for Health, Mr Weaver, on 21 January 1933. He was not available to open the hospital, and instead the chairman Mr Frederick Stiz performed the opening on 16 December 1933. At the ceremony, two memorial tablets to fallen soldiers from the First World War were also unveiled. The tablets are now located in the hospital's foyer and are listed separately on the NSW War Memorials Register as the Casino and District Memorial Hospital First World War Roll of Honour.

On 19 June 1935, The Star reported Governor Sir Alexander Hore-Ruthven agreed to the name of the Casino District Hospital being changed to Casino Memorial Hospital. The Casino and District Memorial Hospital Gates were added in December 1935.


Front facade

Casino & District Memorial Hospital 

Plaque on plinth near the front entrance

Dedicated to all


who have served. 

Lest we forget

Do you know more about this war Memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute
Cnr Hotham and Canterbury Streets
Casino NSW 2470
Local Government Area
Richmond Valley Council
Memorial type
Recorded by
Graham Wilson
Year of construction
Dedication date
16 December 1933
First World War, 1914–18