Casino and District Memorial Hospital Gates

Casino and District Memorial Hospital GatesCasino and District Memorial Hospital Gates, left columnCasino and District Memorial Hospital Gates, right column
Description

The Memorial Gates to the Casino and District Memorial Hospital commemorate those who served in World War One.

The gateway is constructed of brick with a large central entrance and two smaller gates constructed of wrought iron metal. On the left hand side is a metal plaque featuring a marching soldier and on the right are the insignias of the Australian sevices.

The Northern Star on 15 March 1933 published a report on the Casino Hospital Board meeting held that month, where Mr A G Simpson suggested that a memorial gate be erected at the entrance to the new hospital to contain the names of those killed during the Great War. The suggestion was agreed to and it was agreed that the Government Architect (Mr. Ewan Smith), Colonel F J Board of Lismore and Mr Ash of Grafton be asked to "provide a donation of suitable design for gate". The archway and gates were handed over to the board of directors on Monday 16 December 1935.

Honour boards for World War One are located in the foyer of the hospital.

Inscription

Above the gates:

1914 CASINO MEMORIAL HOSPITAL 1918

Address
Casino and District Memorial Hospital
Cnr Hotham and Canterbury Streets
Casino NSW 2470
Local Government Area
  • Clarence Valley Council
Location/surrounding area
Casino and District Memorial Hospital grounds
Recorded by
Graham Wilson OAM
Established date
1933-1935
Dedication date
16/12/1935
Conflict/s
World War 1

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial