A public meeting held in the Coffs Harbour School of Arts in December 1910 decided to form a Swimming Club. The Coffs Harbour Advocate, 18 March 1947, reported that the 'Memorial Club and the Swimming Pool are to be established on a portion of Fitzroy Street, fronting Vernon-street …'
It was in September 1923 that a public meeting decided on the name: 'The Coffs Harbour and District Swimming Club'.
Early in March 1953 action was taken to form a Coffs Harbour Sports Council to improve playing areas and for a swimming pool. A committee was formed and at a public meeting held in late August it was decided to construct an an Olympic Pool in Fitzroy Street. A week later it was decided to construct the pool in the north-east corner of Fitzroy Park.
The site was not supported by the Town Plan Committee. In September 1954 information was received from the Minister for Local Government Mr Renshaw that funds granted should be subsidised £ for £ by the council. However in August 1953 it was decided by the Chamber of Commerce that the swimming pool at the Butter Factory be restored to its pre-war state.
It was in the period 1945-1946 that the RSL had taken steps to construct a war memorial pool. The creek pool was used in the 1950s until the War Memorial Pool was opened in 1969.
COFFS HARBOUR WAR MEMORIAL OLYMPIC POOL
They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them
Lest we forget.
Help us record history by adding to its record.