Hawkesbury Agricultural College Memorial Library and Memorials, University of Western Sydney

Hawkesbury Agricultural College Memorial Library, University of Western Sydney - Image provided by University Of Western Sydney Archivist Cathie LesterHawkesbury Agricultural College Memorial Library, University of Western Sydney - Image provided by University Of Western Sydney Archivist Cathie LesterHawkesbury Agricultural College Memorial Library, University of Western Sydney - Image provided by University Of Western Sydney Archivist Cathie LesterHawkesbury Agricultural College Memorial Library, University of Western Sydney - Image provided by University Of Western Sydney Archivist Cathie LesterHawkesbury Agricultural College Memorial Library, University of Western Sydney - Image provided by University Of Western Sydney Archivist Cathie LesterHawkesbury Agricultural College Memorial Library, University of Western Sydney - Image provided by University Of Western Sydney Archivist Cathie LesterHawkesbury Agricultural College Memorial Library, University of Western Sydney - Image provided by University Of Western Sydney Archivist Cathie Lester
Description

In 1943, the Council of the Old Boys' Union at the Hawkesbury Agricultural College decided to establish a library at the college to serve as a memorial to Old Boys and staff who served in the Second World War. 

The Old Boys raised £5000 to build the memorial library. Between the time of fund raising and building, the costs skyrocketed to £19000. The NSW State Government gave the additional £14000.

A feature of the library was 15 stained glass windows designed by R.L. Johnson representing college values of citizenship, loyalty, service. Aspects of college life and the part students played in the war are also represented. An honour roll was also mounted on an internal wall. The library was opened on Diploma Day, 12 May 1954 by Chaplains F.A. Foley and J.S. Elliott of the Royal Australian Air Force.

This building no longer functions as a library, and the majority of the windows have been relocated to the new library. 

Inscription

Tablet

This Memorial Library was erected to commemorate the services of the students, ex-students and staff of the Hawkesbury Agicultural College in the World War of 1939-1945

Their Name Liveth For Evermore

Roll

[82 names]
Their Name Liveth For Evermore

Address
University of Western Sydney Hawkesbury Campus
Building R6 Science Road
Richmond NSW 2753
Local Government Area
  • Hawkesbury, City of
Memorial type
  • Board/roll/plaque/tablet
  • Building
  • Stained glass window
Recorded by
University Of Western Sydney Archivist Cathie Lester
Established date
1954
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
12 May 1954
Dedication date
12 May 1954
Conflict/s
  • Second World War, 1939–45

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial