Description / Background
The Richmond War Cemetery is a Commonwealth War Graves Commission (C.W.G.C.) site. It contains 25 burials of Second World War veterans, who served in the Australian Army, Royal Air Force (R.A.F.), and Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F.). Each grave is marked with a Commission headstone, inscribed with the veteran's military service details and the emblem of their service branch.
The cemetery is surrounded by a stone and concrete wall, inset with metal fence panels. Attached to the walls either side of the entrance gate are two bronze plaques. The left-hand side plaque is inscribed with the name of the cemetery and the right-hand side plaque gives a brief history of the Richmond R.A.A.F. base during the war.
The whole site is neatly landscaped and features grassed areas, flowering plants, and shrubs. There are also concrete pathways throughout the space, giving easy access to each row of graves.
Two additional burials of Second World War veterans are located in the adjacent General Cemetery.
Richmond War Cemetery
When the Second World War ended in 1945, the total number of Australians serving in the RAAF was 154,511, of whom 137,208 were serving in the south west pacific theatre. The majority of these aircrew and support personnel were based and trained at a number of Airforce training establishments scattered throughout Australia. During the Second World War, the RAAF had some 6,200 personnel killed in action.
During the Second World War, 1939–45, the aerodrome at Richmond was a major base for No's. 3, 6, 9 and 22 squadrons of the Royal Australian Air Force. These were engaged in reconnaissance and submarine patrols along the eastern Australian coastline and also protected allied shipping and the coastal cities against possible Japanese air attack.
The Richmond War Cemetery contains 25 burials, comprising 7 Australian Army, 4 RAF and 14 RAAF. Two war graves - one each from Army and the RAAF - are located in the General Cemetery.