In 1952 the new Head Office of the Maritime Services Board of NSW (MSB) at Circular Quay, Sydney was opened and the war memorial on the ground floor designed by Lyndon Dadswell was dedicated.
The memorial is attached to the marble wall in the foyer of the original MSB main building entrance. It stands approximately 7 meters high and 6 meters in wide. It is constructed of wrought aluminium and stands off the marble wall to form a shadow to act as a second image.
The memorial was sculpted by Lynton Dadswell. In 1933 Lynton won the Art Gallery of NSW Wynne Prize. He was also an World War 2 veteran who joined the AIF in 1940 and served with the 2nd Division 2/3rd Battalion in Greece, Libya and Syria. In September 1941, Lynton was promoted to Lieutenant and the Federal Government commissioned him as the first Australian Sculptor to be an official war artist of World War 2. The sculptor above the doorway, outside the main entrance to the original MSB building, was carved by Lyndon in 1949 and commissioned by the Maritime Services Board of NSW before the building was completed in 1952. Inside the entrance to the building Lynton’s memorial highlights the zones of active military service by Australian service personnel and it was dedicated in 1952.
The MSB Head Office is now the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia (MCA), which took possession of the MSB building in 1989. The memorial was a public war memorial where many remembrance services took place; it now lies hidden underneath a multi-panelled painting by Imants Tillers called Pure Beauty.
You can see evidence of the memorial at the MCA at 140 George Street, The Rocks, Sydney.
The Maritime Services Board of N.S.W
In honoured memory of those
who gave their lives for their
country and in recognition of
those who served in the defence
of Australia and the Empire
Help us record history by adding to its record.