Mitchell Park Memorial Gates - Merewether
The Memorial originally incorporated ornamental gates, which have been replaced by brickwork. The marble columns are faced with lead-lettered honour rolls (the lead from some sections has regrettably been removed).The memorial is located on Mitchell Street as an entrance to Mitchell Park. Robert Street is directly opposite the gates.
The left inner column is surmounted by the marble bust of a soldier, with a sailor's bust adorning the inner right column.
A cross is central to the complex, with the words 'Lest We Forget' immediately above. 1914 appears prominently on the base of the outer left column, with 1919 on the right column.
NOTE: The honour rolls are sequenced by enlistment years.
[Right / Northern Side of gate]
This Memorial was unveiled by Brig. Gen J. Paton C.B. C.M.G. V.D. on the 12th March 1921.
Ald R. Wells Esq President, W. R. Adamson Esq Secretary, Ald J. Campbell Esq Treasurer, G.F. Turner Esq Architect.
Erected by the Citizens of Merewether, in commemoration of the services and sacrifices of the men who fought and fell in the world's greatest war.
War declared 4th August 1914.
Armistice signed 11th November 1918
Peace declared 28th June 1919.
Help us record NSW history
|Pte||H||Abell||World War 1||KIA||view|
|Pte||G||Adamthwaite||World War 1||view|
|A.Mec||M||Adderly||World War 1||view|
|Pte||F||Alberts||World War 1||KIA||view|
|Pte||A||Alder||World War 1||view|
|Pte||R||Alder||World War 1||view|
|Pte||J||Allanson||World War 1||view|
|Pte||T H||Allanson||World War 1||KIA||view|
|Pte||T L||Allanson||World War 1||view|
|Sgt||W H||Allwood||World War 1||view|