The war memorial at Murwillumbah stands at the front of the council chambers and is in the form of an Ionic Column set upon a pedestal and surmounted by a globe. The monument was made from stone quarried from Tweed Heads in 1923; the memorial was subsequently painted white. The column itself is an accurate facsimile of an un-fluted Ionic Column with a diameter to height ration of 1 to 8. The capitol is also an accurate rendition of an Ionic capital with perfectly proportioned volutes, and egg and dart moulding. The name of the architect or designer is not known, however the design of the column would suggest the author possessed a classical training. The builders of the monument were the local masons Armitage Bros. The monument faces west as is common with Classical temples and many other war memorials.
The memorial was unveiled on Anzac Day 1924 by a wife, a mother and a sister of three of the dead listed on the monument.
References; Construction 2 May 1924.
The monument contains the names of 218 locals who served and died on active service in the First World War. The names of the dead are contained on three marble plaques inset with lead lettering. The Northern face contains two columns of dead totalling 72, the Southern face contains likewise 72 dead while the Eastern face contains the names of 74 dead in two columns.
An additional plaque in black granite was fixed to the plinth in November 1977 and commemorates those who died in subsequent conflicts. It reads as follows;
THIS PLAQUE WAS LAID IN MEMORY OT THOSE WHO PAID
THE SUPREME SACRIFICE DURING THE 1939-45 WAR
KOREA, MALAYSIA, AND VIETNAM CONFLICTS
BY THE MURWILLUMBAH R.S.L. SUB-BRANCH
6 NOVEMBER 1977
The front of the pedestal contains a trachyte panel set into the dado and inscribed as follows;
REMEMBER WITH THANKSGIVING
THE TRUE AND FAITHFUL MEN
WHO IN THE GREAT WAR IOF
1914 - 1919
WENT FORTH FROM THIS PLACE
FOR GOD AND RIGHT.
THE NAMES OF THOSE
WHO RETURNED NOT AGAIN
ARE HEREON INSCRIBED
TO BE HONOURED FOR EVERMORE
Above the main inscription is a small marble plaque inset with lead lettering as follows;
BY THE MOTHERS AND WIDOWS
OF THE DECEASED SOLDIERS
ON ANZAC DAY, 25 APRIL - 1924
|Rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflicts||Fate||Service No.||Service||Campaign||Link|
|J||Adams||World War 1||KIA||view|
|J||Akers||World War 1||KIA||view|
|J||Allen||World War 1||KIA||view|
|J||Anderson||World War 1||KIA||view|
|W||Armstead||World War 1||KIA||view|
|J||Arnold||World War 1||KIA||view|
|A J||Atkins||World War 1||KIA||view|
|J||Baker||World War 1||KIA||view|
|J H||Baker||World War 1||KIA||view|
|E||Baker||World War 1||KIA||view|
Help us record history by adding to its record.