The two matching timber rolls of honour for the First World War, located in All Saints' Church Murwillumbah which was opened and dedicated as a memorial on 1 November 1960. The end date of the War is not printed on either roll.
The initial unveiling of the rolls was delayed because of their non-arrival. They were eventually unveiled on 16 July 1916. The Tweed Daily on 18 July 1916 reported the boards contained the names of 160 parishioners and were unveiled by Mrs Joshua Dray and Mrs Cheers. They were "placed in position on the south side of the building between the windows. They were made of silky oak, suitably inscribed and headed, the work of John Hicks and Co., Brisbane" (Tweed Daily, 19 July 1916).
Today the rolls include the names of 210 soldiers, 50 more than was originally listed when the boards were dedicated.
ROLL OF HONOUR
European War 1914 -
+ Signifies life laid down
Help us record history by adding to its record.