Patonga War Memorial

Description

Obelisk constructed from light-coloured brick, which has been painted white, surmounted by a light, and set within a round base garden. It is made from concrete blocks made by the community members who built it. 

The Patonga War Memorial is listed on Gosford City Council’s Heritage Register - http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/glep2014303/sch5.html

It also has two flagpoles, one for the Australian flag and one for NZ, which are both flown on the community dawn service.

 

From Every Mother's Son, Published by Gosford City Council in 1997, by Michael Rokesbuty:

Located in this peaceful village, where Bay and Jacaranda streets meet, stands

a monument to those local young men who went off to battle in World War II.

The memorial was unveiled by His Excellency,

Lieutenant- General John Northcott, C.B.,

M.V.O., Governor of New South Wales on

July 11, 1948.

The memorial was designed by T. W. Smith

and erected with voluntary labour by Patonga

residents.

The committee was members charged with the

responsibility of seeing the project through to

the end were: S. J. Horsley (chairman), Mrs

T. W. Smith ((hon. Secretary), H. Warrior

(hon. Treasurer) and T. W. Smith (hon.

organiser).

There are two metal plaques affixed to the 

east face of the memorial.

The top plaques bear the following wording:

Honour Roll (centred across the top in a 

single line) followed beneath by OF

RESIDENTS OF PATONGA and WHO

SERVED IN WOLRD WAR 2 centred on two

lines.

This is followed by 1939 - 1945. Then comes

two columns of names.

The names as they appear and are spelt: P/O

D. C. Cunnee R.A.N., Spr K. W. Hickey

M.M., Tpr A. C. Sproul, Dvr R. N. Swanstone,

Dvr R. A. Swanston, Gnr J. M Smedley,

F/Lieut R. S. Williams D.F.C. KILLED, Gnr F.

V. Winks, Pte K. J. Witchard.

 

Beneath this, on six centred lines of text, is:

THIS STONE WAS UNVIELED BY: HIS

EXCELLENCY; Lieut-Gen John Northcott; C.

B.M.V.O.; Governor of New South Wales, and 

11th JULY 1948.

On the lower section of the monument is a

smaller plaque with the following wording

centred on six lines: in memory of Lieut. R.

S. Williams; D.F.C., KILLED OVER FRANCE

22nd AUGUST 1944; and AGED 19 YEARS.

Inscription

Honour Roll The Residents of Patonga who served in World War 2 1939 - 1945 [List of Names] This stone was unveiled by His Excellency Lieut. Gen. John Northcott C.B., M.V.O. 11th July 1948

Veterans listed on this memorial

Rank Given Name Family Name Conflict/s Fate Service No. Service Unit Campaign Link
P/O D C Gunnee World War 2 RAN view
Spr K W Hickey World War 2 view
Tpr A G Sproul World War 2 view
Dvr R N Swanston World War 2 view
Dvr R A Swanston World War 2 view
F/Lieut R S Williams World War 2 KIA RAAF 456 Sqd view
Gnr F V Winks World War 2 view
Pte K J Witchard World War 2 view
Address
Roundabout at the junction of:,Jacaranda Avenue and Bay Street.
Patonga NSW 2256
Location/surrounding area
Memorial Location
Recorded by
Mr Simon Handfield (State Library of New South Wales). Information provided by Kay WIlliams and Dain Simpson
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0][value]; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
The memorial was unveiled by His Excellency, Lieutenant- General John Northcott, C.B., M.V.O., Governor of New South Wales on July 11, 1948.
Dedication date
01 January 1970
Conflict/s
World War 2

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial