Railway Remembrance Wall, Central Station, Loco Fitting Shop Roll of Honour 1914 - 1919

Description: 

 

Part of the Railway Remembrance Wall, this is a highly decorated, large pressed copper plaque with numerous smaller bronze name and inscription plaques attached. The whole plaques is set on a light-coloured, polished wooden board, behind a glass pane. Decorations include representations of the Australian Flag, the Union Jack, crossed swords on laurel wreaths, the NSW crest, filed guns and the Australian wattle.The memorial is located near platform 23.

Additional information by Sydney Trains:

A fine beaten copper plate Honour Roll board, with 29 Locoworks Fittingshop railways employees names who served in WWI engraved on small brass plaques and attached to the copper, and encased behind a glass pane.

It was decorated with beaten copper art work of crossed Union Jack and Australian flags, crossed swords on laurel wreaths, the NSW crest, filed guns and wattle above.

It was produced by Fittingshop staff and unveiled by Works Manager J. Scoular at Eveleigh on 25 April 1917, and was relocated after its closure in 1988, and fixed to the western Railway Remembrance Wall at Central Station.

Note all the names are also listed on the Eveleigh Locoworks consolidated Honour Roll WWI.

 

Inscription: 

 

[1]
Roll of Honor. Loco Fitting Shop. Men who answered the call. 1914 - 1919.

[2]
A token of esteem by their fellow Shopmates.

 

Dedication date: 

Unveiled by Works Manager J. Scoular at Eveleigh on 25 April 1917
 

War: 

First World War, 1914-1918
 
 

Recorded by: 

David Roden. Updated info by Sydney Trains
 

Established date: 

1917
 

Address Data: 

Central Station
Haymarket NSW 2000
 
 

Help us record NSW history