2020 marks 75 years since the end of the Second World War. To commemorate this important year, the NSW Government is interviewing WWII veterans about their experiences. Read our 75th Anniversary Stories.
In July 1920 the Goulburn community decided a public ‘soldiers' memorial’ should be built to commemorate those who served in the First World War. The Rocky Hill War Memorial was built by public subscription as a lasting tribute to the men and women of Goulburn who served during this conflict.
The memorial is a square tower of stone conglomerate and concrete. The lookout gallery at the top of the tower provides spectacular views over the city of Goulburn and surrounding district. The land on which the tower stands was bought by W.J. Bartlett, a local citizen, and gifted to the people of Goulburn. The tower, designed by E.C. Manfred, stands 19.5 metres high, watching over the city below, and is floodlit at night.
Officially opened by the Governor of NSW Sir Dudley De Chair, on 15 December 1925, the memorial cost £5,500 to build. The Goulburn Evening Penny Post reported after the opening of Rocky Hill that:
‘…it was now generally admitted that this was the finest memorial in Australia. The architect, Mr E.C. Manfred, had designed a tower which, rough and rugged in its beauty, conformed to the surrounding hill whereon it stood and which reminded them of the sturdy bravery of our illustrious soldiers’.
Located on the main wall of the tower's stairwell is a large white marble honour roll with the names of those who served from the district carved and blackened into the four white plaques. Against an adjacent wall is a white granite block on which a bowl and remembrance flame stand. These were added at a later date. Behind this is a polished wood plaque bearing the badge of the Australian Military Forces and the words 'Lest we forget,' 'R.A.N.' and 'A.F.C.'
The collection of objects, memorabilia, military heraldry and technology, allocated to the city after the First World War, as well as collections related to Goulburn’s association with subsequent wars, is housed in the nearby Rocky Hill War Memorial Museum. Each object tells a unique story, of survival and the history of warfare.
The Rocky Hill War Memorial, which includes the tower and Rocky Hill is listed on the Register of the National Estate.
This foundation stone
was laid by
Mr W. J. Bartlett,
donor of this hill
to the citizens of Goulburn,
April 25 1924.
To those who served
in the Great War
1914 To those who served 1918
In commemoration of the
opening of this memorial.
Unveiled by Ald. E J McDermott, Mayor.
15th December 1975.
This plaque was unveiled 11th November, 1984
to commemorate the lighting of the eternal
flame by K Callinan, ED, JP, Installed as a
joint project by the Goulburn City Council
and the Goulburn sub-branch of the
Returned Services league of Australia.
Alderman K Cole, Mayor
K E Brown, Town Clerk
K Hazelwood, JP, Sub-branch President
This time capsule was sealed on
15 December 2000
to commemorate the 75th anniversary of
the Goulburn War Memorial
It contains artifacts contributed by the Goulburn RSL Sub-branch,
Goulburn City Council, Mulwaree High School students and
|Rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflict/s||Fate||Service No.||Service||Campaign||Link|
|W||Abbott||World War 1||view|
|E G||Abrahams||World War 1||Acc Killed||view|
|H||Abrahams||World War 1||view|
|A||Adams||World War 1||view|
|W||Adshead||World War 1||KIA||view|
|W T||Affleck||World War 1||view|
|C J||Alchin||World War 1||view|
|F H||Alderton||World War 1||view|
|G||Aldridge||World War 1||view|
|T G||Alford||World War 1||view|
Help us record history by adding to its record.