Russell Reserve Memorial

Image provided by the Hills Shire CouncilImage provided by the Hills Shire CouncilImage provided by the Hills Shire Council
Description

Sandstone memorial with two metal commemoration plaques mounted. Surrounded by a garden constructed of rocks and plants, with a flagpole in the center. 

 

Registration of Anzac Monument 3.8.2015

Rotary Club of Vinegar Hill, PO Box 156, Baulkham Hills 1755

Russell Bros Anzac Monument, Withers Road, Rouse Hill 2155

State Government Community Grant $12,000 – Victor Dominello MP

Construction by The Hills Shire Council and Andrew Edwards Landscapes PO Box 249 Kenthurst 2156

Inscription

The Hills Shire Council (logo)

Returned Services League Australia (logo)

RUSSELL RESERVE

 

William Russell

William Russell was born on the 13th August 1892 in the town of

Iford near Mudgee NSW, son of William and Gertrude Russell.

 

William was a resident of Kellyville on enlistment on the 28th

August 1915, the same day as his brother Arthur. He enlisted in

the Australian Imperial Forces as a Private, Service No. 4300.

He joined the 1st Battalion, 13th Reinforcement on the 20th

December 1915. The 1st Battallion embarked for overseas

service on the HMAT A 60 AENAES, arriving in Egypt early

February 1916. On the 16th February 1916 he was allotted to

the 54th Battalion.

 

Moving to France in June 1916,  the 54th Battalion was part of

the 14th Brigade in the 5th Division. The Division took part in the

Battle of Fromelles on the 19th July 1916. The 54th Battalion

suffered 65% casualties and William was wounded. His brother

Arthur was killed in the same action. William was evacuated to

Englad for healing and recovery.

 

After recovering, William rejoined the 54th Battalion in France

in the Somme Valley. William was promoted to Sergeant on

the 17th of May and took part in the 3rd battle at Ypres which

began on the 31st of July 1917. On the eve of the battle of Polygon

Wood on the 25th September 1917, William was killed in

action. William has no knowjnn grave. His name though is listed

on the menin Gate at Ypres with others who lie in unknown

graves in Belgium.

 

Arthur Russell

 

Arthur Russell was born on the 14th October in the town

of Illford near Mudgee, NSW, son of William and Gertrude

Russell.

 

Arthur was a resident of Kellyville on enlistment on the 28th

August 1915, the same day as his borhter William. He enlisted

in the Australian Imperial Forces as a Private, Service No. 

4299.

 

He joine the 1st Battalion, 13th Reinforcement on the 20th

December 1915. The 1st Battalion embraked for overseas 

service on the HMAST A 60 AENAES, arriving in Egypt early

February 916. On the 16th February 1916 he was allotted to

the 54th Battalion.

 

Moving to France in June 1916, the 54th battalion was part of 

the 14th Brigade in the 5th Division. The Division took part in

the Battle of Fromelles on the 19th July 1916. The 54th

Battalion suffered 65% casualities and Arthur Russell was

killed in action on the 19th or 20th July 1916 and had no known

grave. His brother William was wounded in the same action.

 

From DNA supplied by a relative in Australia, a body

recovered from a mass grave at Fromelles was identified as

Pte A Russell. His remains were reinterred with full Military

Honours at the Pheasant Wood Cemetery at Fromelles, 

France on the 19th July 2011.

 

LEST WE FORGET

 

This memorial is erected in special

remembrance of brothers

William and Arthur Russell who

were killed in WW1. 

Together with all the Australian men and women from

every branch of our defence forces and the Merchant

Navy, who have served this great country in time of war.

 

[Rotary International logo]

Rotary Club of Vinegar Hill 

Centenary of ANZAC

2015

[RSL Australia logo]

 

Veterans listed on this memorial

Rank Given Name Family Name Conflict/s Fate Service No. Service Unit Campaign Link
Sgt William Russell World War 1 KIA 25 Sept 1917 AIF 54th Bttn view
Pte Arthur Russell World War 1 KIA 19th/20th July 1916 4299 AIF 54th Batt view
Address
Withers Rd
Russell Reserve
Rouse Hill NSW 2155
Recorded by
Stephen Marshall - The Hills Shire Council
Established date
2015
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0][value]; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
03/08/2015
Dedication date
08 March 2015
Conflict/s
World War 1

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial