Soldiers Memorial Hall, Gerringong
The Memorial is a building with a meeting hall and smaller ancillary rooms eg kitchen, as well as other rooms including those used for the 'The Village Craft Shop'.
Plaques in both marble and bronze are attached to the buildings eastern, northern and western faces with the main entrance and veteran name plaques on the northern aspect. Flagpoles flank the main entrance forecourt. Sandstone is used in the four building foundation dedications.
'LEST WE FORGET' is embossed into a concrete plinth on the western side of the entrance. A small anchor of unknown origin is within the forecourt as well as a bench seat. Apart from the local RSL sub-branch meetings, the building meeting rooms are currently used for periodic community purposes.
Northern aspect 1.
THEIRS WAS A GREATNESS GOT FROM THEIR GRANDSIRES THEIRS THAT SO OFTEN IN STRIFE WITH THEIR ENEMIES STRUCK FOR THEIR COUNTRY, THEIR HEARTHS, AND HOMES.
SLEEP COMRADES, SLEEP AND REST ON THE FIELD OF GROUNDED ARMS, WHERE FOES NO MORE MOLEST. YOUR SILENT TENTS OF GREEN WE DECK WITH FRAGRANT FLOWERS, YOURS HAS THE SUFFERING BEEN, THE MEMORY SHALL BE OURS.
SOLDIERS OF GERRINGONG WHO FOUGHT FOR THE EMPIRE IN THE WORLD’S GREATEST WAR 1914 – 1919
Names G Ainsley through to A Young follow.
SOLDIERS OF GERRINGONG WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THE EMPIRE IN THE WORLD’S GREATEST WAR 1914 -1919
Names Spr J E Alexander through to Sgt W J Sharpe follow.
Bronze plaques for the Navy and Merchant Navy, Australia Remembers 1945 – 1995, AIF and RAAF, and Womens Services are affixed below the names.
ERECTED BY THE RESIDENTS OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF GERRINGONG TO RECORD THE SERVICES OF THE FOLLOWING MEN IN WORLD WAR II 1939 – 1945
Names A C Abbott through to H B Medcalf follow with annotations for “SERVICE IN BATTLE AREA” and “MENTIONED IN DISPATCHES”
ERECTED BY THE RESIDENTS OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF GERRINGONG TO RECORD THE SERVICES OF THE FOLLOWING MEN AND WOMEN IN WORLD WAR II 1939 – 1945
Names D L Miller through to C L Williams follow, then WOMEN’S AUXILIARY SERVICES Names A Gemmill through to P Wallace follow with annotations for “SERVICE IN BATTLE AREA” .
SOLDIERS AND AIRMEN OF GERRINGONG WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THE EMPIRE IN WORLD WAR II 1939-1945.
Names L/Cpl H Coates through to P/O S J Ricketts DFC follow
ERECTED BY THE CITIZENS OF GERRINGONG IN MEMORY OF Names Flt/Sgt R C Christie through to P/O H S J Terrill follow, then KILLED IN AN AIRCRAFT ACCIDENT AT FOXGROUND, GERRINGONG ON 18TH NOVEMBER, 1943. “AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN AND IN THE MORNING WE WILL REMEMBER THEM”
ERECTED BY THE MEMBERS OF THE GERRINGONG TROOP 1ST LIGHT HORSE MACHINE GUN REGIMENT IN MEMORY OF LIEUT. HEDLEY CHITTICK “AT THE CALL OF DUTY HE DID NOT FALTER AND IN THE HOUR OF DEATH HE KNEW NO FEAR”
ERECTED BY GERRINGONG R.S.L. TO RECORD THE SERVICES OF THE FOLLOWING IN VIETNAM
Names K D Bailey through to D J Walsh follow.
The eastern aspect plaque has been noted on the spreadsheet.
A western aspect plaque reads the following:
SOLDIERS’ REPATRIATION BUILDING COMMITTEE 1921 D F BAILEYR CHITTICK REV W T HOOKER T R M MOFFITT T PARRISH W J BAILEY J H DOOLEYW S KEBBYW NELSONJ RANKIN T BURKEM J HINDMARSH J R MILLERJ NELSONJ SHARPE ALEX CAMPBELL C T HINDMARSHJ G MILLERT A NOBLER H WEIR
Minor notices of the RSL Sub-branch meetings are located on the eastern side of the main entrance near Plaque 8 of the above list.
There are also four (4) engraved sandstone building dedications which read
“THIS STONE was laid by T.A.NOBLE.Esqr 24th August 1921
THIS STONE was laid by J.SHARPE.Esqr MAYOR 24th August 1921
THIS STONE was laid by ALEXANDER CAMPBELL.Esqr 24th August 1921
THIS STONE was laid by D.F.BAILEY.Esqr 24th August 1921”
Location / Surrounding Area:
|A C||Abbott||World War 2||view|
|J M||Agnew||World War 2||view|
|G||Ainsley||World War 1||view|
|Spr||J E||Alexander||World War 1||DOS||view|
|P H||Anderson||World War 2||view|
|D J||Arkell||World War 2||view|
|C E G||Averill||World War 1||view|
|L W||Barrett||World War 2||view|
|S R||Barrett||World War 2||view|