The possibility of a memorial avenue was mentioned during a March for Freedom rally in May 1918. Two groups became involved to raise funds for the memorial: West Tamworth Girls Association and the Voluntary Workers Association. The Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney donated 280 trees for the avenue. The avenue extending from Ebsworth Street to Belmore Streets became a reality on 15 September 1918 when it was officially dedicated by Mayor W.A. Bourne. The Daily Observer, 19 September 1918 described the occasion in detail. In 1967 the memorial statue was erected by the Tamworth RSL Sub-Branch in recognition of the avenue.
Stuart Read, NSW Heritage Division Officer has published a detailed report: 'Avenues of Honour, Memorial and other Avenues, Lone Pine', 13 May 2017. In the report, it is noted that the Gipps Street trees include eucalyptus, kurrajongs, evergreen oaks, silky oaks, a few camphor laurels, some Norfolk Island hisbiscus and some pines.
A detailed history of the Gipps Street memorial is available here: Gipps Street Memorial [Tamworth RSL Sub-Branch].
Sign on road strip:
AVENUE of HONOUR
MEMORIAL ERECTED NEAR BELMORE STREET
AVENUE OF HONOUR
This memorial is erected by the
Tamworth Sub-Branch of the R.S.L.
in memory of those men & women
of the Commonwealth who suffered
and died for their country
LEST WE FORGET
UNVEILED AND DEDICATED 11-11-1967
Help us record history by adding to its record.