Upper Orara Second World War Memorial

Description

Concrete monument consisting of a plinth bearing a plaque, on top of two steps. The plaque is decorated with a torch and flame. A flagpole is located behind the monument. 

The memorial is heritage listed with the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage. The listing states:

Simple memorial/cenotaph comprising a stepped concrete square base surmounted with low concrete plinth supporting a cast iron wreath bearing the words ‘Lest we forget’. Incised into the concrete below the plaque are the words, ‘In memory of the fallen’. White flag pole behind. Concrete path, forming a cross, leads to the memorial and surrounds it. 

Located on a grassy slope next to the former All Saints Anglican Church. Avenue of pines behind the memorial may be a memorial planting. The open, grassy setting in a surrounding quiet rural landscape is part of its significance and power as a memorial.

Inscription

Lest We Forget

In Memory of the Fallen

Address
612 Upper Orara Road
Upper Orara NSW 2450
Local Government Area
  • Coffs Harbour, City of
Setting
  • Garden/park
Memorial type
  • Monument
Recorded by
Sharon - Coffs Harbour District Family History Society Inc.
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
05/25/1964
Dedication date
25 May 1964
Conflict/s
  • Second World War, 1939–45

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial