Skip to main content

HMAS Adelaide Mast Memorial

HMAS Adelaide Mast Memorial
HMAS Adelaide Mast Memorial, information panel
HMAS Adelaide Mast Memorial
0 / 0
Description / Background

This war memorial features the mainmast of HMAS Adelaide. It was erected in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in honour of Second World War veterans who died of tuberculosis at the nearby Lady Davidson Convalescent Hospital. The mast is accompanied by a dedication plaque and an information panel about the Adelaide.

The mast was first dedicated on 23 April 1950. It was restored in 1995, as part of the 'Australia Remembers' campaign to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the end of the war. It was rededicated on 9 November that year,

The memorial is positioned adjacent to the Sphinx Memorial, which is located near the North Turramurra Gate to the park and Lady Davidson Private Hospital,



This mast of HMAS Adelaide was dedicated by Rear-Admiral G. D. Moore C.B.E. R.A.N.. as a memorial to the T.B Sailors, Soldiers and Airmen of the 1939–1945 War who died as a result of their disability. April 23rd 1950.

Information panel

HMAS Adelaide - Mainmast

The Improved Town Class light cruiser HMAS Adelaide was commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy on 5th August 1922. Built at the Cockatoo Island Dockyard in Sydney, HMAS Adelaide was active with the Australian Fleet until paid off into reserve in 1928. During the ship's first commission, HMAS Adelaide participated in the 1924/25 world cruise as part of the Royal Navy's Special Service Squadron and in 1927 proceeded to the Solomon Islands on a peacekeeping cruise.

During 1938/39 the cruiser was modernised to meet the threat from more capable aircraft and recommissioned for service on 13 March 1939.

In the Second World War, HMAS Adelaide operated along the Australian eastern and western coasts. During September 1940 she proceeded to the French colony of New Caledonia to help in the transfer of formal control from Vichy to Free French forces and on 28 November 1942, the cruiser sank the German 'blockade runner' Ramses.

HMAS Adelaide provided gunfire support to landings in Ambon in 1944, before returning to Sydney for duties as a submarine depot ship. On 26 February 1946 HMAS Adelaide paid off from naval service and on 21 March 1947 was sold to be broken up in Port Kembla.

The ship's mainmast was erected adjacent to the Sphinx Memorial in Ku-ring-gai National Park in about 1950.

To commemorate the end of the Second World war as part of the 'Australia Remembers' year, the mast was restored and on 9 November 1995, rededicated at an official ceremony.

Related memorials

Do you know more about this war Memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Sphinx Road
North Turramurra NSW 2074
Local Government Area
Ku-ring-gai Council
Location status
Original location
Memorial type
Recorded by
Ku-ring-gai Council. Rusty Priest.
Year of construction
Dedication date
23 April 1950
Second World War, 1939–45