Skip to main content

Orange Memorial Hall

Orange Memorial Hall
Orange Memorial Hall
0 / 0
Description / Background

The Orange Memorial Hall is a well preserved stone building, established in honour of the men and women of Orange and surrounding district who served in the First World War. 

The hall was built in the Doric style, with bold columns and heavy cornices. The main front entrance is made of local marble, with trachyte steps, and above the main doorway is a projecting balconette, with a heavy iron railing supported by elaborately carved consoles. The cement work was completed by Bartlett and Lane of Orange, with Sydney pressed bricks between the columns. The main entrance is through a wide hallway with Queensland maple swing doors and bevelled plate glass. The interior hall, designed to house the honour rolls, is situated at the end of the entrance hallway and is octagonal in shape, with a floor of Australian hardwood parquetry. Originally adjoining the honour roll hall was a billiard room. On the first floor of the building is an assembly hall, with large windows and a doorway leading to the balcony over the front entrance. 

At the end of the First World War, a Memorial Committee set out to establish a memorial fund. The Guyra Argus, 18 September 1919, reported the Committee's decision to construct a Soldiers' Memorial Hall and Public Library at the cost of 6,000 pounds. The hall was subsequently erected by public subscription, with the marble foundation stone laid on 24 May 1921 by the State Governor, Sir Walter Edward Davidson KCMG. The hall was completed by J B Ryan of Orange under supervision of the architect Mr P J McLean, who also designed the building.

The Soldiers' Memorial Hall was officially opened on Anzac Day, 25 April 1922, by Sir Neville Reginald Howse KJCB, the first Australian recipient of the Victoria Cross. The opening ceremony was attended by large crowds, with full coverage of the event published in The Leader, 26 April 1922, which also described the interior and exterior of the building in detail.

The Orange Memorial Hall presently houses the Orange RSL sub-Branch and the W E Agland MBE War Museum. The hall is also used by various local organisations.

The hall interior is open for viewing when the Museum is open and at other times by appointment.


1914 Memorial Hall 1918

Do you know more about this war Memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute
Memorial Hall
245 Anson Street
Orange NSW 2800
Local Government Area
Orange, City of
Location status
Original location
Memorial type
Recorded by
Graham Wilson. Martin Butterfield.
Year of construction
Dedication date
25 April 1922
First World War, 1914–18