At the entrance to St John's Anglican Church in Boorowa is a memorial lychgate. Inside the gate hangs a Lamp of Remembrance, with the names of several First World War veterans inscribed.
The gate was where the body rested for a while before being laid to reverent keeping in the consecrated ground surrounding the church. It is not simply an ornament, but a place of remembrance, a door through which we have to pass ourselves, and to remind us of the thought ‘Lord, remember, and keep them, as the whole church was not on this earth - the biggest part was in Paradise.’
In Memory of the
of the Church in the Parish,
Who gave their lives in
The Great War 1914-1918.
Their names are inscribed on the Lamp
of Remembrance, given by their Comrades.
|Rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflict/s||Fate||Service No.||Service||Unit||Campaign||Link|
|Private||T||Gibbons||First World War, 1914–18||Killed in action (KIA)||1356||Australian Army - First Australian Imperial Force (1st AIF)||2nd Battalion AIF||Gallipoli 1915||view|
|Sergeant||J||Harding||First World War, 1914–18||Died of wounds (DOW)||1750||Australian Army - First Australian Imperial Force (1st AIF)||2nd Battalion AIF||Ypres Salient 1917||view|
Help us record history by adding to its record.