On 15 January 1919 a public meeting was held in the Armidale Town Hall to consider the erection of a war memorial. A committee was formed and submissions from the general public were called for. In March it was decided to select six submissions but many issues arose particularly in reference to cost and the method of voting on the proposals. In time, three proposals were accepted including a sportsground. Much attention was devoted to fund-raising by the Sportsground War Memorial Committee. The grandstand was completed in 1921 and the entrance gateway was completed in July 1923.
Find out about the memorial entrance here: Armidale District 1914-18, 1939-45 Memorial Entrance, Armidale Sportsground
Help us record history by adding to its record.