This memorial is dedicated to men of the Barraba district who served with the 33rd Battalion in World War 1 and the 2nd/18th Battalion in World War 2.
The 33rd Battalion was formed in January 1916 at a camp established in the Armidale Showground. Many of the recruits came from the New England Region.
The headquarters of the 2nd/18th Infantry was established at the Wallgrove Camp in Western Sydney on 13 July 1940. Many of its recruits came from northwest New South Wales and Sydney.
This memorial flagpole is located near the Barraba RSL and Recreation Club. At its base is a rock with a plaque attached.
This Flagpole is dedicated to the men from the Barraba district
who served with the 33rd battalion in the Great War of 1914/18
And to the 2/18th battalion who served in World War Two 1929/45
And shall be flown as a mark of respect to the fallen who have
served our great nation.
Mr Richard Chapman
Barraba RSL & Recreational Park
Mr John Myers
Barraba Returned & Service League
Help us record history by adding to its record.