The memorial is a large brick community hall, dedicated to the memory of those who died in the First and Second World Wars. The hall is typical of the 1950s architectural style, with a high façade over the front entrance. The building has extensions on the northern and southern sides. There are concrete steps with a central iron hand rail leading to the timber glass doors. A suspended awning sits over the front entrance, with the name of the hall written in large letters on the front of the awning. The hall houses timber honour rolls commemorating those who enlisted from the district in the Second World War.
Following the First World War, initial steps were taken in Barraba to consider construction of a hall to be known as "Anzac Hall". By mid 1928, £500 had been raised towards the project (Manilla Express, 1 June 1928). Seven years later, The Sydney Morning Herald, 19 May 1936, reported that the Barraba RSL sub-Branch had accumulated a fund of £1,305. It was anticipated that the cost of building the public hall would be £4,000.
After the Second World War, further fundraising took place. The Manilla Express, 22 June 1954, advertised a Monster Dance to be held in the Oakhampton Wool Shed on Saturday 26 June 1954, with all proceeds to aid the construction of the memorial hall. At the annual meeting of the Manilla Caledonian Pipe Band held that year, it was reported that funds from the band had been donated to the memorial hall.
The hall was opened on 23 April 1955 by the NSW Governor Lieutenant-General Sir John Northcott and was dedicated by Reverend M K Jones. On 25 July 1955, The Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales reported that the Barraba Memorial Hall was registered under the 1908-1954 Theatres and Public Halls Act on 22 June 1955.
Barraba RSL Memorial Hall
War Memorial Hall
His Excellency the Governor of
Lieutenant-General Sir John Northcott
K.C.M.G. C.B. M.V.O.
on the 23rd April 1955.
The Very Rev M. K. Jones M.B.E. B.A. L.Th.
To the memory of the fallen of
World War 1 1914-1918.
World War 2 1939-1945.