A chapel in the cathedral on the northern side to the left of the altar.
It is of sandstone construction, a pale yellow in colour. Nine stained glass windows overlook the chapel. Under the windows are the following words in carved sandstone relief:
''They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them.'
1914 - 1918
At the western end, is an effigy of Alfred Henry Forster, a wooden cross of a unknown British Soldier, a Changi Rushlist, and a stone medallion from Canterbury Cathedral.
The effigy is of Alfred Henry Forster of the Sots Greys, who died of wounds, 10th March 1919. 'The original of this effigy is in the Church of All Hallows, by-the-Tower, London'
In the wall behind the effigy is the foundation stone for the chapel.
A memorial by Cecil Thomas to the fallen of the First World War.
On the floor in the centre of the chapel is a stone placed by the children of Edward and Caroline Parnell.
(On the northern and eastern walls under the windows)
Under the windows are the words in carved sandstone relief:
“They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them. 1914-1918”
(On the western wall - the wooden cross)
A wooden cross of “A unknown British Soldier” presented to the Dean of Newcastle by H.R.H. Prince of Wales, December 1927
(On the western wall - stone medallion)
The medallion above is of stone that once formed part of Canterbury Cathedral, and was given by the Dean and Chapter of that Ancient Minster, to be incorporated into the fabric of this chapel.
(On the western wall - foundation stone)
A.M.D.G. And in grateful memory of our beloved who died in the Great War 1914-1918.
The foundation stone of this memorial was laid by His Excellency, The Right Honourable Lord Forster P.C. G.C.M.C. Governor-General of Australia, the Second Day of August 1923. “other foundation can no man lay than that which is laid which is Jesus Christ.”
The fabric of this chapel is the gift of Hudson Berkeley and his wife Annie Fowler Berkeley.
(Western end of chapel - On the sandstone block that holds the effigy)
Their name liveth for evermore
(On the southern wall)
Hallowed in Christ be the memory of the brave men and women who died in the Great War for the freedom of the world. They shall stand before the throne an exceeding great army and in that last muster there shall be found these our own well-beloved.
(In the floor, centre of the chapel)
A.M.D.G. And that those who shall come here may remember the sacrifice in the Great War, of our heroic Australian dead. The marble floor was placed in this chapel, by the children of Edward and Caroline Parnell. A.D. 1924.
Help us record history by adding to its record.