The following research has been supplied by Architect, Mr Andrew Howell:
Coolac Memorial Hall was built in approx 1959 to replace an earlier hall that burnt to the ground the previous year (date unknown). The hall is of prefabricated steel construction with metal profile sheeting walls and roof, constructed by O’Neill Builders of Gundagai. The front facade is constructed of red brick. A small bronze plaque set into a menhir stands in front of the hall recording the names of the volunteers and the dead from WW1, WW2 and the Vietnam War (See additional images). A number of these names are also recorded on the memorial at Gundagai.
The Memorial Gates were built shortly after the Second World War and were funded by D.H. Roberts who lost his son, Pilot Officer Arthur Donald Roberts (615 Squadron - No 402063) flying Hurricanes in the Second World War. A black granite memorial panel set into the brick pier records his death. Pilot Officer Roberts was a member of the RAAF attached to the RAF and was shot down over the English Channel flying a Hurricane on 27 September 1941 aged 20. At the time of his death Pilot Officer Roberts was based out of the Airbase at Northolt. Pilot Officer Roberts was formerly a clerk born at Greenwich in Sydney.
Name Plaque reads:
'In honour of Coolac and district servicemen and women'
[See additional Images, below]
Pilot Officer Arthur Donald Roberts Gates:
'These gates presented by D. H. Roberts esq, to the memory of
ARTHUR DONALD ROBERTS
Pilot Officer R.A.A.F.
Killed in Combat 27th Sept. 1941'
|Rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflicts||Fate||Service No.||Service||Campaign||Link|
|W E||Back||World War 1||view|
|V F||Back||World War 1||view|
|L J M||Bone||World War 2||view|
|T D||Bone||World War 2||view|
|A C||Braniff||World War 2||view|
|A B G||Briggs||World War 2||view|
|C||Briggs||World War 1||view|
|L O||Brown||World War 2||KIA||view|
|K||Campbell||World War 2||view|
Help us record history by adding to its record.