A substantial, multi-element concrete and stone pillar set in a large concrete circle edged with stones.
The base of the monument is a three-sided pillar. An eight-sided tapered column is on top of the pillar. The column is surmounted by a small globe with a short flagpole on top. The overall height of the memorial is 52 feet (15.85 metres).
The memorial sits on two steps which are five-cornered, with a smaller five-sided pillar at each corner from which flags can also be flown.
Veteran's names and the main inscription are engraved and blackened on two of the three marble plaques on each side of the base. One of the three plaques is dedicated to The Unknown and as such is left blank.
The entrance to the enclosed park area where the memorial is located is via a stone gateway and turnstile inscribed with the word 'Nirvana'.
“The monument was built by Alfred Haroldston Perrott, who lost his eldest son in World War I, to ‘do something to keep forever green the memory of those poor boys who would never return.’ ... The final plan for the monument was a composite based on concepts drawn up by Mr Perrott, Architect Mr Hickson, Shire Engineer Mr Montague Smith and the builder Mr Mark Roberts. ... Building commenced on October 6th 1920 ... The Foundation Stone took the form of a huge block of concrete ... (was laid) on February 21st 1921 ... building work was completed on May 22nd 1921, in good time for the unveiling ceremony on Empire Day May 24th. ... Mr Harry Court, Blacksmith of Armidale, made and donated the turnstile and worked symbols of the Navy and the Army into the handles.”
Each of the elements of the monument has a symbolic meaning, determined by Mr Perrott:
“The entrance is in the form of an eastern temple and invites people to ‘Nirvana’, the Place of Peace and is surmounted by a bell, which calls the souls to rest ... The turnstile has handles fashioned into shapes of a military bugle, service rifle, Naval bosun’s whistle and a cannon.
The unveiling ceremony was performed by Captain J.L.G. Johnstone (later Brigadier).”
Inscription around top of pillar
1914 - 1918
Lest we forget
Designed and erected by Alfred Haroldson Perrott of 'Chevy Chase' in memory eternal of the soldiers of the British Empire who went West during the Great War.
Circle and Globe.
Represent the world.
Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada and India.
England, Ireland, Scotland.
The Eight Countries united.
Honour roll plaque
Inscripiton on smaller pillar
Globe 40 ft
Inscripiton on smaller pillar
Flag Staff 52 ft.
Inscription on turnstile
|Rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflicts||Fate||Service No.||Service||Unit||Campaign||Link|
|Pte||Frank G||Brennan||World War 1||DOW||33rd Batt 9th Brigade||view|
|Sgt||E S||Earle||World War 1||KIA||B Co. 33rd Batt.||view|
|Pte||Robert||Fawcett||World War 1||DOW||33rd Batt DCO 9th Bde.||view|
|Lieut||James||Hogg||World War 1||DOW||42nd Batt||view|
|Pte||Norman||Holloway||World War 1||DOS||33rd Batt.||view|
|L Cpl||Thomas R||Holtsbaum||World War 1||DOW||33rd Batt 9th Brigade||view|
|Sgt||C A||Johnson||World War 1||KIA||16th Batt. 6th FAB||view|
|Mjr||C H||Lane||World War 1||KIA||18th Battery||view|
|Lieut||L W||Lane||World War 1||KIA||53rd||view|
|Cpl||Wilfred D||Lovegrove||World War 1||KIA||2nd L H||view|
Help us record history by adding to its record.