2020 marks 75 years since the end of the Second World War. To commemorate this important year, the NSW Government is interviewing WWII veterans about their experiences. Read our 75th Anniversary Stories.
Gunnedah's Town Hall was opened on 25 March 1926. At the time, the archway leading into the front doors was still under construction and was intended to be dedicated as a Soldiers' Memorial Arch. The Memorial Clock Tower was added later and dedicated on 11 August 1937. There are two brass plaques dedicating the clock tower, one with a timber background and an inscription, and the other with an Australian Imperial Force emblem and inscription.
THIS CLOCK TOWER HAS BEEN ERECTED TO PERPETUATE THE MEMORY OF THOSE CITIZENS OF GUNNEDAH AND DISTRICT WHO SERVED WITH HIS MAJESTY'S FORCES DURING 1914-18. E. W. WESTERWELLER. MAYOR
MUNICIPALITY OF GUNNEDAH
MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER COMPLETED - 26TH JUNE 1937.
E.W.WESTERWELLER . MAYOR. P.H.STANLEY . DEPUTY MAYOR
ALDERMEN J.G.COCK. J.G.OGILVIE. E.A.ICETON.
R.B.BOWEN. J.ENKS. J.McDONNELL. E.GRIFFITHS
A.H.PALMER. TOWN CLERK. F.J.BISHOP. ARCHITECT. C.H.GREY. OVERSEER
OFFICIALLY OPENED BY MAJOR-GENERAL THE HON. SIR CHARLES ROSENTHAL K.C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., V.D., M.L.C., ON 11TH AUGUST 1937
Help us record history by adding to its record.