The memorial is a bushrock, with a marble dedication plaque attached. The plaque has an oval shape and features a bronze likeness of Captain MacKay, "commander of the1st Regiment of Australian Volunteer horse" (Cootamundra Herald, 4 September 1897).
In 1897 Captain Mackay of Wallendbeen raised a troop of experienced country horsemen as volunteers. The very first enrolment took place near this location on August 28th 1897. 60 men formed the local half squadron of what was to be called the First Australian Horse. Centenary of the muster was celebrated here on August 30th 1997.
Help us record history by adding to its record.