2020 marks 75 years since the end of the Second World War. To commemorate this important year, the NSW Government is interviewing WWII veterans about their experiences. Read our 75th Anniversary Stories.
The memorial is a semi-circular lawn bounded by a low brick fence in which a stone wall and three flagstaffs are set. Two stone blocks with stainless steel plaques attached are on either side of the flagstaffs. The stone wall is adorned with bronze insignias of the Australian Navy, Army and Air Force and the words 'Lest we forget'. The whole memorial is within a garden with an iron fence and gates.
The gate was dedicated on 5 December 1959 and the additional memorial elements were dedicated on 18 February 2004.
Lest we forget
To Honour the Fallen. These memorial gates and entrance were presentedby Marrickville Council and were officially opened by the Mayor Ald J F Laxton on 5th December 1959. President H.J. Falvey JP. Hon Secretary W Rolt.
In memory of the men and women of the Second World War (1939-1945) who gave their lives for Australia and liberated other countries from tyranny. Officially opened by Councillor Barry Cotter, Mayor of Marrickville on 18th February 2004. Sponsored by Marrickville Council, Commonwealth Department of Veteran Affairs, Marrickville Anzac Memorial Club, Petersham RSL Club Ltd and Petersham RSL Sub-Branch.
Help us record history by adding to its record.